Photovoltaic systems convert solar radiation into electricity. They belong to the category of renewable sources of energy. The prospect of development and implementation of photovoltaic systems in Greece is significant, due to the particularly prolonged periods of sunlight. The greatest advantage of energy production by photovoltaic systems is maximum production during the day, when there is maximum demand as well.
Photovoltaic systems, depending on their use, are classified as:
- Independent systems, in which the electricity produced is used only to cover the user’s needs and they usually have a storage system (batteries)
- Interconnected systems, in which the energy produced is transferred into the electrical network
Photovoltaic systems constitute a reliable technology for the production of electricity from the sun. The efficiency of photovoltaic systems increases with the use of panel rotation systems that follow the movement of the sun. However, the installation of such systems may increase substantially the investment cost. The constant technological developments in this field aim at the maximization of the production of these systems, reducing at the same time the cost of the Kw produced, so that they render photovoltaic systems one of the most important technologies for the exploitation of solar energy in the near future.
The exploitation of solar energy using photovoltaic systems has the following advantages:
- Zero pollution
- Silent function
- Reliability and long life span (exceeding 30 years)
- Lack of dependence on polluting fossil fuels
- Possibility of expansion according to one’s needs
There are three ways in which you could take advantage of sunlight and photovoltaic systems in Greece in a clever, economical and environmentally friendly manner:
- Become a self-producer (net metering) with photovoltaic systems and consume electricity produced by yourself, while at the same time you are connected to the public network (Public Power Corporation)
- The ‘Photovoltaic systems on roofs’ program, in which a photovoltaic system is installed and all the electricity produced is sold to the Public Power Corporation (PPC), which compensates the user based on a feed-in tariff.
- The installation of an independent photovoltaic system. In this case you consume electricity produced by yourself, while you are able to get disconnected from the Public Power Corporation (PPC). You receive electricity from batteries when there is no sunlight (off grid/stand alone pv).